In addition to the in-person service at the cemetery, the funeral will also be live-streamed. To view the service virtually, please go to on Friday, June 14th, 2024 at 1:00 p.m.

Michael Argand was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia on May 13, 1951, shortly after his parents Gordon Argand and Rose Argand (nee Spatz) and older sister Susan, arrived in Canada from Germany, his parents survivors of the Holocaust. Michael died in Toronto the age of 73, on June 13, 2024, in the palliative care unit of Sunnybrook Hospital after a suddenand severe illness. Michael is survived by his wife, Jo-Anne Nozick and his son Roy, his future daughter-in-law Nicole Heelan, his sister Susan Charness, and his cousins Jim Spatz and Shirley Spatz and their families, all of whom loved him
deeply and miss him terribly.

Michael was a lawyer and a businessman, but more importantly, Michael was a loving, trustworthy, caring man who loved his family. They meant the world to him, and he meant the world to them. He would have done anything for Roy, the son he was so very proud of. Roy was by Michael’s side throughout his short but devastating fight with a rare cancer. He shared a love and a life with Jo-Anne for over 35 years. In January, they celebrated their anniversary with friends in California and then spent a special weekend together in Las Vegas, where they saw Adele in concert. It was an experience of a lifetime for them. Michael was close to his sister Sue, who he was always there for, and he loved being close to her in Toronto, visiting often, and recently celebrating many holidays with Sue.

Michael loved sports which was something he shared with his son from early on. From the time Michael coached Roy’s soccer team and had to remind the players which direction to shoot, to later watching Roy’s races, lacrosse, rugby, and football games, he was always there. They shared this love of sports and attended many professional games together, a special time for both. Even at the worst of Michael’s illness, Roy placed Michael’s iPad close to him, so he could listen to a game and comfortably fall asleep in bed or on the sofa, and they watched the recent playoffs together.

He loved politics, especially American politics, and studied them long before it was the trend, really understanding how their system worked. He voraciously read and watched the news, and was a bit of a history buff – learning as much as possible about WWII.

He was President of the Atlantic Jewish Council, an umbrella organization for various Jewish community groups, for 6 years – the length of his “2 year” term. It was a challenging position and he did it for 6 years because it was so difficult to find someone to take it on, so he kept going year after year. In his younger days, Michael volunteered with the Progress Club and political parties.

Last spring, he moved to Toronto with some concern. He did it for Jo-Anne who moved to Halifax for him over 30 years ago. He was worried about big city life, traffic, condo living, and being away from the ocean, but he also looked forward to living in the same city as his sister. He made the move and he was so very happy to become reacquainted with wonderful and dear friends, a true chosen family. He was worried about golf – the important questions, such as, how far away is it and how will I get there, he wondered if it would just be too much effort? Well, Michael loved being in Toronto. Traffic wasn’t bad in the summer, and he joked, “Mount Pleasant is really quite pleasant to drive.” But, it was his twice weekly golf outings that made Toronto special to him. He didn’t have to do a thing. No getting up at the crack of dawn to book a tee time and no long drive through traffic. Twice a week, he waited for an email asking if he wanted to play. He responded, and twice a week he schlepped his clubs up the driveway and was picked up and chauffeured to a nearby golf club for a round of golf (with a senior’s discount!) with three friendly, engaging buddies. Then, he was chauffeured home – sometimes even stopping for an ice cream on the way. In the end, he loved Toronto and was very happy here.

During his illness and after his death, so many friends texted, emailed and called to express their concern and their fondness for Michael. A gentle soul, a kind man, a sweet caring friend, and a special person – these are some of the words coming from near and far. He is well loved and will remain in our hearts and our memories.

In honour and memory of Michael, if you so desire, please donate to the Sunnybrook Palliative Care Unit K1 East to support comfort care to patient families and staff. Your donation can be made via the Sunnybrook Foundation by phone 416-480- 4483, or or to the Jewish Federations of Canada – UIA, Israel Emergency Fund, bycalling 416-636-7655 or at